Wednesday 3 June 2015

My first cake with fondant

Fakaalofa lahi atu and welcome to our humble blog.

This week I completed a 'TURBO CARS' themed cake for a family member whose son, Isaac, was turning one. This was such an honour and I got some great feedback. Sure, it doesn't look as good as the cakes on Pinterest but I'm sure I'll get there!


I only have white fondant because coloured fondant and gum paste is so expensive! (Well, to me anyway.) So I painted my cake and fondant toppers with food colouring and honestly it's so effective! And cheap! (I love cheap but chic... You know what I mean)






The cake was kinda a disaster- I covered a chocolate cake in chocolate ganache and left it in the fridge overnight. When I took it out in the morning it was fine. 
Then 10 minutes later it started getting gloopy and sticky and really wet. I was freaking out!!!

So I used my best friend GOOGLE and saw that I should try to use a fan to dry it out. 
With an hour to go, I just had to paint it so I did and I tried to cover the worst part of the black road with the car.


These cupcake toppers were really easy to make! All I did was make the design on PicMonkey and printed it out. Just to save your time I learnt that when you design your topper, DUPLICATE it and place it above your first topper. That way when you cut it out, you just need sticky tape the stick so its double sided. 

These were really simple. If I had more time, or could afford photoshop these would be 100.

Then I cut them out with my craft knife or scissors and used double sided tape to stick to the skewer.



Mmm chocolate ganache! 



Mmmmm cupcakes! 

Chocolate cupcake with dark chocolate ganache and nanas banana cake with a dot of vanilla buttercream frosting.




Freestyle painted the flames around the sides of the cake with a small thin brush. Painted with the yellow top first then the red bottom and tried to blend in to get an orange in the middle.



Happy birthday Isaac and thanks to my family who gave me the honour of making your cake. I can't wait to try more cakes. I'm practicing to make a cake for my Grandma and Grandpas 70th birthday and 50th wedding anniversary cake at the end of the year. I can't wait because when they got married they never had a wedding cake so this is so important for me to create the wedding cake they will love. Definitely gonna get some Island flavour in the design  so watch out for that in December. 

Faa everybody xo  

No comments:

Post a Comment