Monday 23 February 2015

Pancake palace at Nathan Homestead

MALO E LELEI FAMILI,

Pancake palace strikes again at Nathan Homestead in Manurewa on Saturday 21 February.



I was so happy to set up my food stall/ bake sale at the Manurewa Hidden Treasures Family Fun Day. The day wouldn't have gone so smoothly without the help and support of my family.




I sold a pancake for $2 each (Plain or chocolate chip) and you could choose as many toppings as you wanted including cream, maple syrup, chocolate syrup, sprinkles, bananas, berry compote, chocolate chips, M&Ms and maltesers. My Dad is famous for making pancakes at family lunches and family friend dinners. A tradition we have is to always eat the first pancake because its usually the worst. Its a nice way to share a little something with the family and we have saved a few batches by tasting that the butter or sugar is missing!

I didn't really take photos because I was too busy working hard. We only took a couple of snaps at the beginning sorry.

But other than pancakes I also had slices for sale. All 3 slices were really nice but thinking back on it, the cost of the ingredients didn't work for trying to make any profit. We had malteser slice, apricot bites and our families Leilua crunch.




Tip: I put baking paper in all my baking tins before I put in the mixture so that cleaning is 100% easier and lifting up the finished slice to cut is too easy :)


The malteser slice was SOLD OUT




Oh yum I wish there were some slices left... 


Beautiful toppings for the pancake people. 

Pancakes are so easy to make so it was a really good seller. If I have the chance next time Im going to make cupcakes on the side. Cant wait to show you what ideas I have next- now its just finding the money to pay for my dreams. The life of a starving artist. 

I noticed that advertising on Facebook helped. Everyone who commented on the status showed up and everyone who came had never been to Nathan Homestead before. Im surprised and glad that this day was help because it is a hidden treasure in Manurewa. 
The Manurewa community has a reputation for being a bit dangerous. The 'South Side'. Its a low income and multicultural community which has different cultures including Pacific Island, Asian, Indian, Maori and Pakeha (European). 
 I grew up in Manurewa and was lucky enough to go to holiday programmes at Nathan Homestead with my sister and my cousins. I remember ice cream days and making a lions mask out of clay and doing drawing lessons. Im just happy to see people discover this great place and to share it with their kids. So I guess my last message is to try new things in your own community and if your near the Botanic gardens or Totara park then stop in to Nathan Homestead or look up the website- they do some really cool classes for kids and adults.

Happy pancakes people.









No comments:

Post a Comment